Did you know …
Hospice Care Week 09 – 15 October 2017
There are approximately 360,000 residence living across the six Surrey Borough’s that Woking & Sam Beare Hospices receives referrals from and we deliver specialist palliative care to just over 1,600 people across this region each year. But what does this mean and what is a hospice?
Today, Monday 09 October, marks the start of Hospice Care Week, which is an annual week of activity to raise the profile of hospice care across the UK lead by national charity Hospice UK. The week is designed to celebrate all that has been achieved but it is also an opportunity to change people’s perceptions of hospice care.
Dr Barry Quinn RN, Director of Nursing for Woking & Sam Beare Hospices and a leading senior international lecturer, comments: “All clinicians are trained to deliver palliative care and the aim is always to put the patient at the centre of our actions and decisions. But as specialists in palliative care we are experts in delivering holistic care for patients with advanced complex conditions as the result of any life-limiting or terminal illness.”
Your new state-of-the-art hospice in Goldsworth Park Centre, is a warm and vibrant place. But like all hospices, Woking & Sam Beare Hospices is far more than just a building and our Community Teams are a life line to some 600 patients in their own homes at any one time, as well as their carers and families.
During Hospice Care Week your local Surrey hospice has one simple ask. We get so many wonderful comments from those within our care and we would like to invite anyone who wishes to share their experience of the hospice and to celebrate our wonderful clinical team to help us generate awareness about who we are and how we help and support the community. Post on Twitter or Facebook @WSBHospices and use #WSBHawareness, or email us at email@example.com.
Did you know at Woking & Sam Beare Hospices:
- We deliver 8,760 hours of care and support each year
- Approximately 70% of our care is delivered in patient homes
- We receive referrals from Spelthorn, West Elmbridge, Woking, North Guildford, Surrey Heath and Runnymede
- Hospice care is not just end-of-life
- We are specialists in care for patients with advanced complex needs
- We care for patients with dementia, heart disease, cancer, degenerative conditions and more
- We care for adults of all ages [18 – 85+]
- Our services are completely FREE of charge
- We offer support services for carers and family members
- We provide child and teenage bereavement counselling
- Our Wellbeing Centre offers a range of treatments and therapies
- We have 816 fabulous volunteers who save us approximately £1.7 million per year
- We work closely with GPs and other clinicians to share knowledge and expertise
- For every £5 we need to raise £4 from voluntary income
Hospice Care Week 09—15 October 2017
@WSBHospice #WSBHawareness #HospiceCareWeek