Woking & Sam Beare Hospices is a patient-centre charity based in Surrey, committed to providing the best in specialist palliative care. We cover the North West Surrey region, providing a free-of-charge holistic care and support services for patients, their families and carers.
We are currently looking for a General Assistant (38.5 hours – Full Time). The main duties of the role is to contribute towards the upkeep and cleanliness of the Hospice building out of hours and to be responsible for the building security. A Schedule of Duties for each of the two shifts (16:00 – 00:15 and 00:00 – 08:15 – times subject to change as necessary) will be provided. Whilst the schedule includes suggested times for each of the tasks, these are provided for guidance only and post holder is expected to be able to work autonomously and to respond to other requests as and when they arise.
* To undertake general cleaning duties of any areas of the main hospice building and external buildings.
* To rectify any failures in cleanliness standards after routine monitoring has been completed and report completion of the rectification to the Maintenance & Security Manager.
* To replenish disposable items, i.e. paper hand towels, soap.
* To ensure that all waste is transferred to appropriate bins for collection.
* To carry out internal and external security patrols.
* To cover reception desk when necessary.
* To act as main point of call for security incidents and follow procedures for reporting and escalating incidents.
* To respond to any fire alarms / alerts in accordance with the Fire Policy.
* To check and change medical gas cylinders as and when required.
* To liaise regularly throughout the shift with the Ward Nurse in Charge and to undertake all reasonable requests for assistance.
* To carry out duties using safe and appropriate working practice, according to statutory regulations and guidelines, to ensure the safety of self, other staff, patients and visitors.
* To ensure that all hazardous substances are stored according to COSHH regulations.
* To wear specified protective clothing as necessary to perform duties.
* To attend mandatory training i.e. manual handling, COSHH, fire safety, and any other training required to ensure safe working practice.
* To follow the Schedule of Duties as instructed by the line manager.
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (Exceptions Order) 1975 and as such it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service (formerly known as CRB) to check for any previous criminal convictions.
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time, Contract