The physiotherapists assess patients individually and may offer advice and treatment for a range of problems including – breathing difficulties, muscle weakness, joint stiffness, pain, limb swelling, and general mobility. If required the physiotherapist will provide an appropriate walking aid.
The physiotherapist aims to:
- Maximise physical function
- Promote independence
- Assist the patient to adapt to their condition
- Educate patients and carers
- Work closely with other members of the multi disciplinary team
- Achieve the best possible quality of life for patients, family and carers.
For more information about physiotherapy or training to become a physiotherapist, contact the Chartered Society of Physiotherapy at www.csp.org.uk or write to 14 Bedford Row, London, WC1R 4ED.